Blind Contour Exercises
Blind Contour Exercises
8.5" x 11"
Graphite in Sketchbook
January 2022
(Crossing Blind Contour of Right Hand)
(Crossing Blind Contour of Right Hand )
(Crossing Blind Contour of Left Hand)
(Crossing Blind Contour of Left Hand)
(Crossing Contour Self-Portrait)
(Crossing Contour Self-Portrait- Modified)
(Crossing Contour Self-Portrait- Quick)
(Crossing Contour Self-Portrait- Quick)
Exploration of Blind Contours both inside and outside of class. Blind Contours are drawings done only looking at the object of the drawing and moving the pencil as the eyes follow the edges of the object- done completely without looking at the paper. For the hand contours, some are completed with pen others with a pencil. Use of both hands for the blind contours. A crossing contour is completed the same way as a blind contour only going through the interior lines of the object to show the volume of the object. The self-portraits are completed the same way while looking in a mirror. Quick ones are done much faster in gestural movement and modified ones are when the artist is allowed to peek at the paper and adjust the drawing process before looking back at the object.
I enjoy doing blind contours, I find I am pleasantly surprised quite often at the result of the drawings! Interestingly I had better results doing blind contours of the hands when drawing with my left hand. I like the self-portraits as well! They seem very Picasso to me!
(University of Lethbridge, Art 3010- Drawing Principles and Practices, January 2022)
Comments
Post a Comment