Interior and Exterior Space

 Interior and Exterior Space

18" x 24"

Water colour paint and Ink marker on Mayfair 

February 2022

(project final)

The task of this project was to explore spaces that are important to myself, one interior space and one exterior space and then layer them on top of one another to create a complex composition. I struggled with this project because I don't generally connect value to spaces- at least not everyday spaces so choosing spaces I could be passionate about representing was very challenging. My interior space is the inside of my car, and the exterior space is the lake near my home. The layering was to be done with one space represented in a dry material (marker) and the other with a wet material (water colour), as well as one in colour (exterior) and one in greyscale (interior). I don't love the open space where the windshield exists, it seems empty there. However, overall I think it turned out well. I very much enjoy watercolour paints and am very happy with the exterior representation.  

Below I have added the 'pre-work' that was put into this project; this includes many sketchbook studies of both the interior and exterior space, and a large completed study of both spaces individually. 


Interior Space Studies:
(pencil- cross hatching)
(pencil- modified contour)
(pencil- carefully drawn)
(pencil- quick overlapping contour)
(coloured pencil- monochrome)
(coloured pencil- red/blue)
(pencil- blind contour)
(pencil- simplified shapes)
(charcoal- impressions)
(conte- form)


Interior Space Complete Study:
(Charcoal, Graphite and Conte on Mayfair)




Exterior Space Studies:
(conte)
(pencil- one line)
(pencil- gestural)
(pencil- carefully drawn)
(pencil- blind contour)
(pencil- quick contour)
(coloured pencil- monochrome)
(pencil- cross hatching)
(coloured pencil)


Exterior Space Completed Study:
(Charcoal and Graphite on Mayfair)


Progress of making Final:
(watercolour paint layer 1)
(water colour paint layer 2-3)


(University of Lethbridge, Art 3010- drawing principles and practices, February 2022)



Comments