Photo Realism

Photo Realistic Drawing

22" x 38"

Charcoal on Drawing Paper

April 2022




This project consisted of multiple steps: First we were asked to analyze a handful of objects, their formal and informal qualities. Afterwards, some studies of the objects. My chosen objects included- a ring, cell phone, a blow dryer, and a disposable razor. 

(Analyzing object qualities)

(Studies of object 1- engagement ring) 

(Studies of object 2- cell phone)

(Studies of object 3- blow dryer)

(Studies of object 4- razor)

Next, we were asked to take images of each of our objects. The goal of the image is to distort the recognizability of the object. 


(My objects)

Image of my ring. I do not think this image is particularly successful at distorting recognizability, I found it hard to zoom in so close on a relatively small object and retain image quality. 

Image of my cell phone. I think because of the mass ownership of this object it is very challenging to take away the recognizability. 

Image of my blow dryer. I think this image most successfully accomplishes the task of distortion.

Image of a disposable razor. This image is also successful at distorting the recognizability, however this object holds no real significance to me personally. 


I decided to move forwards with the blow dryer as my object for the project, with this in mind I took a few more photos with more dramatic lighting and different angles.


(image I chose)

The drawing is intended to be photo realistic, in order to achieve this the image is divided into a grid, then the image is copied one square at a time. The next step of the project is to make a 'practice grid' in sketchbook. The image is copied one square at a time from top left corner down with graphite pencil. 

(sketchbook grid)

(printed image with grid)

(in-progress)

(in-progress cont.)

(finished practice grid)
I think this was overall successful, there is some distortion in the inside of the blow dryer, I think from shifting grid whilst drawing. 

For the final drawing, the grid process is to be completed again upscaled on a larger piece of good drawing paper with charcoal as the medium. 
(grid on large drawing paper)

(in-progress)

(in-progress)

(final drawing)

Overall I am super happy with how this turned out. there is some distortion in the paper, making some diagonal lines in the image. For being inexperienced with charcoal I feel good about what I was able to make. 



(University of Lethbridge, Art 3010- Drawing Principles and Practices, April 2022)











 




Comments